Does one of your teeth have an annoyingly noticeable chip, stain, or crack? Do you have a tooth with an incredibly large cavity? In both of these cases, a dental crown may be just the treatment required to restore structure and function back to your smile. These restorations are custom-made to seamlessly blend in with the rest of your pearly whites, improving your smile without drawing attention to it. If you have an imperfect tooth, whether it’s due to damage, decay, or a cosmetic flaw, dental crowns in Green Hills may be the perfect treatment for your smile.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped restoration that fits over the crown of your tooth, or the portion that is visible when you smile. You can think of a crown as a “cap” that slips over a tooth to protect it and allow you to chew, speak, and smile as if your tooth were naturally flawless. While no dental restoration is designed to last forever, crowns have the potential to last for upwards of 10-15 years provided you take good care of them with regular brushing, flossing, and checkups with us.
Am I a Candidate for a Dental Crown?
You may benefit from receiving a dental crown if you:
- Have a weak tooth that needs assistance staying in one piece
- Want to conceal a cosmetically imperfect tooth
- Have a broken tooth that needs protection from future damage
- Have a tooth with a large filling and there isn’t much natural enamel left to protect it
- Need to hold a dental bridge in place
- Need to cover a dental implant
- Have a tooth that was recently treated with root canal therapy
The Dental Crown Procedure
Prior to placing a crown, your dentist in Green Hills will take detailed x-rays to determine there isn’t a problem within the tooth that could necessitate treatment like root canal therapy. If everything looks good, we can go ahead with the dental crown process.
We begin by administering a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth. The tooth is then either built up or shaved down in order to provide maximum support for the restoration. After the tooth has reached its ideal shape, we take impressions and use them to create a mold, which is sent to a trusted dental lab. From there, a professional ceramist will start painstakingly crafting your crown to our exact specifications. To protect your tooth in the meantime, we can place a temporary plastic crown.
When your actual crown is ready a few weeks later, you simply return to our office. We replace your temporary with your permanent crown, check your bite, and voila! It’s like your smile is brand-new!
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns come with a variety of advantages, such as:
- Relieving the discomfort of having a broken tooth
- Protecting an already damaged tooth
- Requiring only two quick appointments to place
- Improving the appearance of cosmetically displeasing teeth
- Being custom-made to suit your unique smile
- Having the potential to last for over a decade before a replacement is needed
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Do you have a tooth that feels like it could be improved in some way? Contact us to schedule an appointment. We can take a look and determine whether a dental crown in Green Hills is just the solution your smile needs to really shine!